OBJECTIVES OF THE FREE TRADE & PROCESSING ZONE
The four fundamental goals of the Free Trade and Processing Zone have been translated into specific objectives and time frames. They are listed below:
- To diversify and expand the industrial economic base of Antigua and Barbuda by promoting an export - led growth.
- To provide a comprehensive free enterprise zone by ensuring that the Free Trade Zone in Antigua and Barbuda develops facilities that are equivalent to those provided by its competitors within a period of three (3) years.
- To create conditions which are attractive to investors and to establish the type of relationships and joint venture arrangements that would ensure medium to long - term viability.
- To increase the transfer of technology in Antigua and Barbuda.
- To provide state of the art facilities and conditions that make the Antigua and Barbuda Free Trade and Processing Zone internationally competitive particularly in the area of telecommunications related services.
- To ensure that Antigua and Barbuda becomes a leader in the field of Informatics in the Caribbean within the next five (5) years with emphasis on Call Centers, Data Processing and E-trade.
- To ensure that within a period of five (5) years, Antigua and Barbuda becomes a sought after destination for Offshore Banking, Captive Insurance and other financial services.
- To maximize the country's geographic location as one of the major regional transit points.
- To improve foreign exchange earnings for Antigua and Barbuda.
- To increase employment in Antigua and Barbuda and improve the standard of the overall local labour force by generating approximately two thousand (2,000) jobs in the Free Trade Zone within a five (5) year period.
- To co-operate with the Government and other institutions in providing training to Antiguans and Barbudans so that they can be easily assimilated into the top hierarchy of the industries that are established in the Zone.